When it comes to waiting time after shocking your pool, the answer depends on several factors. How much chlorine there is in the water can make a significant difference in how quickly you can start swimming again after shocking.
Shocking a pool can be used as an emergency measure to eliminate contaminants in your water, but it also serves as part of regular maintenance. Shocking helps eliminate chemical traces responsible for cloudy-looking water and keeps it looking gleaming clean.
After shocks, the time needed for swimming depends on the type of pool shock. Generally, chlorine-based shocks allow you to return to swimming within 6 hours; however, potassium monopersulfate shocks may require up to 5 days before you can swim again.
Stunting a pool will raise the level of chlorine in the water to destroy contaminants and prevent future growth. For instance, if you’ve been dealing with algae issues, shocking will eliminate all green and yellow algae before they have time to establish themselves.
Before using your pool again, test its free chlorine and pH levels first. These should range between 1-3 ppm for safe swimming and 7.2-7.8 ppm, respectively.
Maintaining your pool’s water balance can be a challenge. Every time you open it up to the elements, it exposes itself to more pollutants – rainwater for instance dilutes chlorine levels and makes swimming unsuitable.
If your water is off balance, consulting with a pool expert is recommended. Whether the issue stems from sunlight breaking down your chlorine, or an aggressive algae bloom, they can assess the situation and offer helpful solutions.
Once the water has reached equilibrium, you can begin adding your pool chemicals and adjusting their dosages accordingly. This could include muratic acid, flocculant, calcium hypochlorite or other bleach-based solutions, algaecide and even pH plus or minus.
To effectively treat algaecide, you must use the correct chemicals at the appropriate times. For instance, never mix muriatic acid or flocculant with algaecide already added to the water as these both have strong areas that can irritate skin.
When using chemicals like calcium hypochlorite and potassium monopersulfate, you should wait up to 30 minutes before using them. This is because these products may become strong when mixed with pool water; thus, mixing them in a bucket first is recommended.
After shock shock your pool, it is wise to run the filter immediately in order to help clear away the water quickly. Doing this also prevents algae growth that can occur if not properly sanitized.